It's interesting. As a youngster I was like the characters in Dilbert. Always complaining that the marketing department was selling things that the engineers didn't know how to build.

As I get older that concerns me less and less. Some of my greatest frustrations come from the lack of a mature, diverse set of service offerings to deliver.

In a sense, it doesn't matter if there is nothing behind the service offerings to back them up. It doesn't matter if the organisation doesn't know how half of them are going to be delivered.

I know how to deliver. I know how to implement. I know how to manage. I have enough experience in the IT industry now to be genuinely confident. I'll link the service offerings to the delivery capabilities I have access to and make all those grandiose service offerings a reality. That's my job.

When I see a mature, well-organised set of service offerings like those presented by Unisys (just a random example) I see it as a thing of beauty. I don't cynically wish it were actually true that they had a fully-developed delivery architecture behind them. I just start wondering how I could deliver them.